- Causes Symptoms Treatment
Contrary to popular opinion, sciatica is not an independent disease.By and large, this is nothing more than a radicular pain.The most common sciatica - lumbar, treating it a little different from the standard for all diseases of the spine scheme, but there are some nuances associated with the specifics of the lumbar.
And specificity is - this is the spine is experiencing maximum load as close to the center of gravity of the body.At the same time, the department must be sufficiently mobile to ensure that the necessary degree of individual freedom of movement.It is worth noting that the human spine copes with its tasks, but the appearance of various diseases can rapidly break the "usual way" work of the lumbar.
What are the causes of sciatica?
no consensus on the cause of occurrence of the disease was not a long time, do not have it now.At first it was thought that the cause is inflammation
So now the most common cause of sciatica is a human diseases such as osteochondrosis, deforming spondylarthrosis, intervertebral hernia and various degenerative-dystrophic processes in the spine.Also, the development of the disease could be due to a complication of certain diseases, such as: cerebrospinal meningitis, syphilis, influenza, brucellosis, tuberculosis and rheumatism.
In other words, the number of possible causes is large enough and not always obvious cause of sciatica.
Symptoms of sciatica in the lumbar
As we have said, sciatica in the lumbar otdle - a very common phenomenon.Generally, this pain may manifest itself as sciatica, lumbago or sciatica.In any case, we are dealing with severe pain, which severely limit the mobility of the lumbar spine.But let's see more.
In general, there are three groups of symptoms of sciatica.It:
- pain.In this pain may be of different duration and intensity, as well as various kinds.That pain makes it clear that there is an effect on nerve fibers;
- sensory disturbances.Compression of the nerve roots often leads to a variety of neurological symptoms, since the passage of nerve impulses is disrupted.As a result, the legs may appear burning or tingling sensation, feeling of pins and needles or numbness;
- muscle weakness.The reason is still the same compression of the nerve canal - interrupts the nerve impulses, because of what disturbed muscle performance.
Also, there are three main pain syndromes, which occur in sciatica.It:
- backache or lumbago.It is a sharp pain in the lower back, which in most cases occurs after sudden physical exertion, or triggered by hypothermia.Duration of seizure may be different - from several minutes to a day.The most common causes for this pain is muscle spasm, displacement of the vertebrae or intervertebral hernia;
- sciatica.A distinctive feature of this pain is that pain is localized slightly below the waist, often - in the buttocks.However, it can spread throughout the leg, up to the foot.Often accompanied by muscle weakness.The pain in this case usually shoot, it is something like an electric shock;
- sciatica - a kind of pain that combines features of the two syndromes described above.Usually in this case, the pain is localized in the lower back and gives up.In most cases, this searing ache.
There are two main phases of treatment of this disease.In the first phase the task of the physician - to eliminate pain while actively used various drugs, which should ease the pain and speed up recovery.Therefore, this stage is also called medication.
So, what drugs are used in the diagnosis "lumbar sciatica?"The first is a non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs.They effectively eliminate the pain due to the removal of inflammation and swelling in the affected spine.But it should be borne in mind that the term acceptance of such drugs is limited due to the fact that they have a negative effect on the gastrointestinal tract.Therefore, the physician must be weighed the expected benefits and possible adverse effects.
Treatment of lumbar and sciatica never fast because of the specificity of the spine.As it is often the use of anti-inflammatory drugs is often limited, can be used painkillers.When severe pain they are used as a "blockade", obkalyvaya affected area.This method quickly removes the pain, but not a cure, in this situation, the absence of pain is merely the effect of the drug and not a sign of recovery.
If necessary, your doctor may prescribe other drugs, for example - muscle relaxants, which are needed to remove the muscle spasm.
What to do when the pain has receded?
disappearance of pain - this is not the cure.It is necessary to ascertain the cause of their appearance and in accordance with it, prescribe treatment.Since the causes may be different, and the treatment can be radically different.For example, in some cases, required a long reception chondroprotectors, and in others - enough B vitamins
There are only such general treatments, massage and physiotherapy, which are used in almost every case.It is these methods allow you to bring in the best condition and muscular corset back ligaments, thus prevents the development of diseases of the back and develop joint mobility.
Separately want to mention the treatment of lumbar sciatica traditional methods.Note that almost all of these methods anyway based on the warming of the affected area of the back.In principle, this allows to improve the circulation and reduce some pain.But seriously, this is not a complete cure, but simply trying to eliminate the pain, and not very effective.So better to seek professional help , rather than hope for the "miraculous" methods.