Living with type 2 diabetes can sometimes seem like an hourly or even minute by minute effort to stabilize blood sugar levels.All recommendations and medications that you were given as part of your treatment plan of type 2 diabetes, designed to help you achieve - and keep - a healthy blood sugar levels most of the time.
facts about diabetes and blood sugar
body needs sugar (glucose) as a fuel and it is quite a complex process that allows your body to use sugar.Insulin, which is produced by the pancreas, is a hormone that allows cells to your body's beneficial to use sugar.
Type 2 diabetes occurs when the body is unable to remove sugar from the blood for use elsewhere.This can happen if your body ceases to be sensitive to insulin, or if it begins to react with a delay.Elevated blood sugar level, which signals the diabetes is the result of the analysis of more than 7 mmol / L of fasting blood glucose, or more than 11 mg / dL at any time during the day.
addition to the impact of diabetes, uncontrol
both high and low blood sugar levels are a threat to health.
Low blood sugar levels can lead to hypoglycemia, which puts people at risk of disorientation and loss of consciousness, so it can be life threatening.Fluctuation in the opposite direction to the high sugar content in the blood can cause fatigue and dehydration.Good control of diabetes can help reduce the risk of heart attacks, strokes, kidney disease, and peripheral artery disease.
strategy to stabilize blood sugar
There are steps that will help you achieve the normalization of blood sugar levels.
daily routine is essential for good control of diabetes.This means the power to follow the plan, regular exercise and regular visits to the doctor.Tracking carbohydrate is especially important.Big changes in the consumption of carbohydrates every day can lead to fluctuations in blood sugar.
Use the following strategies to help control blood sugar levels:
- Exercise .A regular exercise program has been shown to help control the level of sugar in the blood over time and the manifestation of a different approach to fitness - good for diabetes and health in general.Participants of the 12-week program, which were engaged in for an hour three times a week, using both aerobic and strength training to improve the management of diabetes, according to research.Mix weight training with aerobic as well as any other activities you enjoy.
- Loss .If you are overweight, it will be easier to stabilize blood sugar levels more effectively, if you lose a few kilos.For some people with diabetes, loss of only 5 or 10 kg may change in diabetes control or eliminate the need for medication.
- Diet .Many people with diabetes to achieve better control of their blood sugar levels by limiting the types of food that can cause a sharp rise in blood sugar.For example, your doctor may recommend reducing carbs and eating more lean protein, fruits and vegetables.The fibers can be so useful that consumption of even small amounts of fiber can help stabilize blood sugar levels.
- drink sensibly . Alcohol can cause an immediate increase in blood sugar levels and then drop a few hours later.It is best to stick to moderate amounts and eat solid food with a drink.
- Medicines .Your doctor may recommend different types of medications at different times during your treatment of diabetes.
- ask additional questions .Do not hesitate to ask your doctor or diapedagogu on how to interpret blood sugar readings or more guidance to help stabilize blood sugar levels.You need to know what are your medications and what your goals are.Strategies to stabilize the blood sugar levels are most effective when you understand how they work and how to use them.
high and low blood sugar
As you learn more about living with diabetes and control blood sugar levels, you will experience times when your blood sugar is too high or too low.But do not panic.Complications of diabetes associated with poor control of blood sugar levels over a long time, but not with random bursts of blood sugar levels.However, it should take into account the long-term effects of too high blood sugar (hyperglycemia) or too low (hypoglycemia) and how to treat it:
- Hyperglycemia : Too high blood sugar levels over a long period of time is called hyperglycemia.If your blood sugar is over 13 mmol / L, you should also check for ketones in the urine before taking action to reduce the level of sugar in the blood.Methods for the treatment of hyperglycemia include:
- Exercises .Physical activity is a good way to bring down blood sugar levels.10 minutes of exercise, used to be a recommendation for children with type 1 diabetes, as a way to stabilize blood sugar before insulin starts to act.However, if you have high levels of ketones in the urine, refrain from physical activity, because it might make the situation worse.Allow the doctor to know when your blood sugar is too high for a long period of time.
- Change your diet .High blood sugar levels can be due to overeating or irregular food intake.If you deviate from your diet, return to a healthy diet, as recommended by your doctor.Next meal high in protein and fiber to help.Many people with diabetes are upset because of the unpredictable reaction to food, and decide not to eat in an attempt to reduce the level of blood sugar.But hunger causes stress, which can cause blood sugar levels to rise.
- Adjust medication .Too high blood sugar levels, may require a change in medication, but only with the advice of your doctor.Talk to your doctor about what to do in response to the high levels of sugar in the blood, before changing his plan for taking medication.
- Hypoglycemia .For many people, low blood sugar can lead to dizziness and malaise, and it can be extremely dangerous if it leads to loss of consciousness.You need about 15 grams of carbohydrates to stabilize your blood sugar levels.Many people carry glucose tablets, just in case (I wear caramel pieces 7-8), but also a glass of sweet juice or soda, or a tablespoon of honey will do the job.Check your blood sugar again in about 20 minutes, to make sure that he has returned to a more acceptable level.If you have frequent episodes of low blood sugar levels, wear a medical identification bracelet or necklace, if you are not able to help themselves.
Some people find a formula that works well in order to stabilize blood sugar levels, and they can rely on it every day.For others, the blood sugar level may seem a moving target.If so, build a partnership with your doctor and together you can find strategies for better control of blood sugar levels that are working for you.